Thursday, June 25, 2009

WHAT IS THE REAL ESSENCE OF THE FEAST OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST

I was commuting in a mini bus yesterday for a field assignment in Naic when a bucket of water showered into our face. The windows were not airtight so most of the water thrown came in. We were caught by surprise because it was not expected to befall us. Most of the passengers got wet from that baptism. I never realized what the hell is happening until I remembered it was the feast of Saint John the Baptist. I'm not a believer of fiestas but I'm not against it. I am a respecter of religious and social freedom excercise within the bound of law, morals, and the Scriptures. As expected, most passengers expressed disappoinment and disapproval for that uncivilized excercise. I condemn such act of uncultured indecency.

1. If it happens in the City of San Juan and the like, I must understand the risk of getting wet without holding any grudge to anyone who could harm me. San Juan and other areas whose patron is Saint John the Baptist is ecclessiastically and legally recognized to practice such manner of celebration. Yesterday's incident happened elsewhere.
2. We were attacked not once but more than seven.
3. I have to cancell our appointment as I appeared not very presentable to do my assignment.
4. It's an act of aggression as no one could protest against their malevolent and ignoble display of authority over our very own rights even if we are not religiously affiliated with their persuasions.
5. It threathens our freedom to protect our own interest and our share of our own rights as they failed to recognized and respect it.

I'm not against the celebration of the Feast of Saint John the Baptist, for everyone is entitled to exercise his right and religious freedom according to his conviction without injuring the right, freedom and interests of others. The Feast must be celebrated in a christian and civilized manner not in an arrogant, disastrous and destructive manner. It must be celebrated to see it's significance not for the sake of self-entertainment and amusements while seeing others suffer from getting wet because of their boorish and crude game plan.

We are not living in the time of Dark Ages anymore. Everyone must be morally aware with his actions. He must be conscious and sensitive to the rights and interests of others, respect and protect each other's liberty and independence.

No comments: